Thursday, June 14, 2018

Butterflies, Melons and Memories

Butterflies, Melons, and Memories


Mother’s day…the day set aside once a year to honor the women that shape our lives.   

I was blessed with a precious momma.  She was a gift in my life for fifty-three years. Even after her passing, bits and pieces of her legacy linger on in our family members.  She had such a presence…such wisdom and love.  How thankful I am to see glimpses of her love in me.  

Recently, I was going through boxes from my parent’s home. Keepsakes they packed away became treasures for me to find after they stepped into glory.   I found every card I’d ever given them, from the cards signed with my awkward childhood scribbles to others with my deepest, heartfelt love and appreciation written as an adult. 

Daddy always made sure Mother’s Day was a big deal.  We hand prepared special meals I’m sure momma choked down with a smile.  We gave her flowers, gifts and cards.  Special cards with just the right words. Words that were “enough.” Words that conveyed love and appreciation for everything momma did to make life so special for us.  

When I became a momma, my hubby and sweet boys did the same to honor me.  Hand prepared meals and the sweetest gifts.  One year, I remember my youngest taking his allowance to a neighborhood garage sale and buying me the most beautiful “diamond” brooch and matching earrings.  I have them proudly displayed to this very day.   They also gave me precious cards.  Sometimes these were handmade also – my oldest having the talent to really blow me away with his artistic ability!  And like my daddy, I have each one neatly tucked away. Treasures for them to find years from now.  

My boys have families of their own now.  The norm has been to gather around our table on Mother’s day and honor us all…our mommas, my boy’s wives, and me.  It is such a gift to have us all together…my best gift!   But life happens and things change.  

Rewind to Mother’s Day 2005.  My sweet momma stepped into glory on February 20, 2005.  Mother’s day 2005 was going to be a hard one.   My youngest son was going through a divorce.  I knew his three year old daughter would be with her mom that day, leaving Chase to spend the day alone.  We would try, though, and make the day special for everyone.

Then I received a call from my oldest son.  They wouldn’t be coming over that day because of a prior commitment with his wife’s family. My youngest planned to play golf and get away for the day. Family time would be too painful for him on this day.

This day was getting harder by the minute. 

I grabbed my keys and headed for the door, still needing to prepare a celebration meal for my mother-in-law.  As I drove down the country road leading out of our neighborhood, my tears flowed like rain.  My heart cried out to God, as I missed my momma so very much.  I wanted to talk with her.  I wanted to hug her sweet neck.  I wanted to look into those precious eyes of hers and feel her arms around me.  I wanted to tell her about my broken heart.   I cried out to God, screaming in the sanctuary of my car -  “please give my momma the biggest hug from me and tell her how very much I love and miss her!”

All of a sudden, I could see butterflies.  Not just two or three.  It seemed like hundreds of beautiful butterflies surrounding my car.   As I drove the winding road, I was wrapped in a blanket of love, enveloped in the middle of the most beautiful sign from heaven . God’s sweet gift was His answer to my prayers.    

My spirit was renewed and my heart lifted. With such a beautiful day outside, I decided to serve our meal outdoors. Fresh flowers decorated the table for my mother-in-law.  It was a glorious day.  Thanks to the sweet gift of butterflies, I was excited about the festivities.

As we gathered hands to pray, Michael thanked God for the mommas at the table, and what they meant in our lives.  He also thanked God for the momma in heaven that we missed so much.   

Memaw really loved being the center of our attention, and deservingly so.  What a precious woman she was!  She loved the one-on-one time with us.  

As I was about to go inside to prepare our desserts, a butterfly flitted around our table.  I laughed and told Michael and Memaw about my incident on the road that morning, and how God answered my prayers.  Then the butterfly landed – ON MY PLATE!  Michael and Memaw couldn’t believe it.  We were silent, afraid to move, not wanting to disturb the butterfly.  Minutes passed and she stayed right there on my plate.  In a few minutes, I put my finger beside her.  Slowly I moved my finger closer and closer until I was touching her.  She gently lifted her body and climbed onto my finger.  Time stopped.  I couldn’t believe what was happening.  I drew her close to my face to see the details of her beautiful wings.  She stayed.  She just stayed.  The three of us sat quietly in awe of the moment.    

I reached down on my plate and lifted a tiny piece of cantaloupe to the butterfly.  I told Michael and Memaw “my momma always did love her some cantaloupe!” and I kid you not ,as sure as the sun rises, that butterfly began to eat that cantaloupe!   I promise!  We all watched in amazement, not saying a word.  Minutes passed and finally, after gracing our day with her magic and having touched my heart in such a big way, she flew away.  We all just looked at one another and then began to laugh…belly laughs.  Thankful laughs.  Grateful laughs.  

That Mother’s Day was a hard one.  It’s been 13 years and the grief still stops me in my tracks sometimes.  You never get over losing the first loves in your life.  

My momma and daddy are safely tucked away in heaven this day,   I am oh so thankful for the heaven that holds them and the God that promises me in His word that we will live forever with Him one day.  I am thankful, too for His loving embrace by the butterflies He sent to me that day in May, 2005.  Each time I see a butterfly dancing around me these days,  I am reminded of the sweetest momma in the whole wide world and the Father in heaven that loves me beyond measure.  

God sends us many signs of His never ending love for us -  to comfort us in our grief and to dance with us in our joy..... in every sunrise, every sunset, every flower that blooms, every butterfly that races to fill up a grieving heart – He’s there.  Just be watchful and ready…His gifts are there for you – just waiting for you to open them!

No comments:

Post a Comment