Thursday, June 14, 2018

Remembering

My cousin sent me a precious picture today of her first grandchild.....little Ava Loretta.  In looking at the picture, memories just burst in my mind.....

When Addison was little bitty, we kept her many times because Chase and Farrah traveled for work.  I remember one time - and when i looked into those little eyes of Ava it makes me remember like it was yesterday - it was our first overnighter…..i think we had Addy for two days matter of fact.  She must have been about 3 months old…..They were giving me all the instructions on what time bottles were, how to fix them etc.  She would sometimes still wake up in the night for a bottle at 2:00 a.m. or so - they said “okay, just pick her up and get her bottle heated as quickly as you can - now don’t look at her, because if you do she will start grinning and cooing and she will wake up and you will be up for a long while…..but if you just quietly get her bottle and give it to her, she will go right back to sleep” - well, sure enough, about 2 A.M.  i hear her stirring - just a little whimper….. i remember as i walked into the kitchen, i tried my hardest not to look down…..but then i peeked…..and sure enough, the sweetest most precious smile came across her face.  Oh my goodness, that smile....i melted right there in the kitchen!  I didn’t talk to her though…..i fixed her bottle and sat down to give it to her - she took it right away and sure enough, those sweet eyes closed, her long eyelashes so dark against her cream-colored skin.  Oh my…..tears rolling down right now because i can remember it like it was yesterday!  And today, that beautiful brown-eyed girl is 15….where in the world did all those years go?



I remember too that next morning - i invited the great grandparents over to love on their first great grandchild.  I have the sweetest picture of my daddy holding her - she's dressed in yellow i believe.....my momma sitting right next to him as close as can be and she has Addison's foot, holding it up to her mouth to kiss it and she has the biggest grin you have ever seen on her precious face.  Even though dementia had taken so much of my momma away at that time, she sure knew joy and love!  And oh my goodness....that little brown-eyed girl could sure bring it!

Pictures are coming to me now....the picture of Pepaw Corley seeing her for the first time....his grin lighting up his face.  My daddy down in the floor with her, letting her crawl all over him.  I am so thankful for these memories.  Oh how i wish i could go back and be there....just for a minute...reliving those "firsts".  



Thank You Lord for the sweetest "firsts" and for all the sweetness afterwards.  I can remember Avery Grace....and that first time holding her.  Oh and her little eyes....she could grin with those eyes and still can!  I remember being told not to hold her too much....wanting her to get used to her bed and then parents coming in and finding both grandmas sneaking her out of the bed and rocking her in the night...Avery just a cooing!  I remember the first time meeting Haley and Audrey....Haley grabbing my hand at the Lakepointe Fall festival and not letting go (melted then too!).....Audrey running into the house and taking us all by storm.  What a little fire cracker at 13!  And then little Hayden Michael - holding that sweet boy for the first time....those lips....that dimple....those beautiful eyes.  And then Matthew!  Our first great grand.  Meeting that little blue-eyed boy for the first time.....they surprised us on a visit to Frisco - hiding in the kitchen - and Chase couldn't wait to show us.  My son a granddad....oh my goodness, how did the years go by so quickly? 









But i thank You Lord Jesus.....i thank You so much for these little memories that slip into my days.  Thank You for memories....thank You for family.....thank You for this life You have given me Lord.  Love beyond measure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment