Sunday, May 25, 2014

Memorial day

It's a quiet day here at the Corley house…..spent yesterday in Frisco with Chase and Angie….helping them pick out plants and get the landscaping ready for a party they are having tomorrow.  Sweet time with my kids….

I am reminded today of my daddy….Michael's daddy…..and so many others who fought in WW2 - i never talked to daddy about the war - i just got a feeling it was something he didn't want to talk about.  I did hear stories….the kind of stories that were heartwarming…..like one time he asked me if i knew angels smoked cigarettes.  One time during his service, they were leaving a shore and daddy was the last one to climb the rope to the ship before they left….daddy grabbed hold of the rope and before he knew it, the ship was leaving - he was dangling there on the rope and said he wouldn't have made it but two of his mates came out to have a cigarette - they heard his cries and got him help.  There's also the infamous story about New Zealand…..they were docked there for two whole weeks and stayed on the shore in tents and ate rations in tins (i have the tin he used too….it's in the trunk with all his things from the war) - he said there were two guys, daddy and another guy, that were completely bald.  Daddy was completely bald by the time he was 21…..anyway, they grew FULL HEADS OF HAIR while they were in New Zealand!  He said all the guys would run to the two of them first thing in the morning to look at their heads!  I have always told daddy i wished we could figure out what made that happen….and bottle it because we could sell millions!  He said as they left New Zealand, it took a couple of weeks and all the hair fell out.  He said he figured the only way he could do it was recreate it and for it to be the same time of year, eating the same things……just an amazing story.  I am not sure i would believe it had it been anybody else but my daddy telling it!

I am so thankful for our daddies…..and the time they gave up to keep us free.  I have no idea the sorrow they saw…..the heartbreak, the hurt.  But i am so thankful.

I miss my daddy so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment