Friday, May 9, 2014

Stormy days….

 It all started as i left with my friend Suzanne to do Meals on Wheels.....and the rain had already started - torrential downpours.....and the wind was awful - she picked me up so i stood under the portico and opened my little umbrella to make a mad dash to her car - JUST as i got out of the shelter of the portico the wind came and blew the umbrella up in the wrong direction.....i got soaked.  We had decided to go by Nothing But Bundt Cakes and get little cakes to take all the mother's on our route.....Suzanne had a lunch date with out of town family, so i offered to get out at all the stops so she could stay relatively nice looking for her lunch date.....rain poured on me again as i entered the store.....we know the owners because they are the ones that bought our house in Heath, so we hugged.....i explained to her what i needed and a customer there in the store with us overheard me and offered to pay for all the cakes - random acts of kindness just blow me away sometimes - she explained that she was a nurse and her heart was for the elderly......she worked with home health care and with hospice and she dearly loves the elderly - so wet me hugged her big and thanked her and headed out the door with my box of cakes.  I bought little clear plastic sacks and i made Happy Mother's Day tags for them and our plan was as i went in to deliver the meals, Suzanne would assemble the gifts in the car......sooooo off we go....let me say here too, you must imagine the picture of me here....i honestly look like someone turned a hose on me - and my hair....oh my hair.....it curls up like crazy when it gets wet and it's NOT attractive!  At this point tho, my hair is plastered to my head.....anyway, as we go along our route and stop to deliver our meals, the rain just is coming down in sheets and also the thunder and lightening.....really concerned me because it was CLOSE.....We saw lightening strikes that seemed RIGHT in front of us and going all the way to the ground.....LOUD thunder.....and then there was the rushing water in all the gullies and people's yards looked like lakes.....so when we would get to a home, i would literally run....gave up the umbrella because it didn't help at all.....just RAN with meals and gifts in tow.  Then as we are going down this one country road to Mr. Lacy's house, we look ahead and in the middle of the road there's a tiny little black dog headed down the center of the road.  As we approach, she turns and starts heading for our car.  Suzanne stops the car and tells me "Oh Cindy, open the door and get that baby" - so i open the door and here she comes....she has no qualms about getting in the car but as i get her in my lap.....she's shaking like crazy.....she immediately puts her nose in the crook of my arm and hides.  So now, not only am i wet....not only is my hair plastered to my head....but now i smell like wet dog =)   We continue on our route, the little dog shivering in my lap - every once in a while she starts panting like crazy.....When i get out to deliver Mr. Lacy's meal i put her in my seat....when i come back, the wet dog is sitting in the impeccably dressed Suzanne's lap - Suzanne tells me that as soon as i got out of the car, the dog JUMPED across the seat into her lap.  Now we both smell like wet dog.  We finish our route and we are headed home....Suzanne has already decided she will take the dog home, give her a bath and then when the rain stops we will go back and put up signs....it's obvious, altho no collar, that this dog is loved and well taken care of......she's older....gray hair around her mussel and neck and she's got quite the fat tummy....somebody loves this little one.  So here we are.....driving back to Rockwall....me drenched - hair now curling every which way - the wet smell of dog filling the car - oh yes, i can't forget as i look down at my arms, i look like an ape....both arms COVERED in short black hairs.....this little dog likes to share her coat =)  - Suzanne who has a lunch date in an hour ALSO looking ape-ish - anyway we are driving along with the shivering dog in my lap and all of a sudden we look at one another and almost at the same time - "oh my, WHAT is that smell?" - i cringe and say "oh Suzanne....did she poop on me?"  The most horrible smell ever permeated the car - we both start laughing so hard that tears are rolling down our cheeks.  Suzanne can hardly drive she's laughing so hard.  I gently lift the dog's butt so she can peek underneath....."no she say's....the storm has just scared the gas out of her!".  So Suzanne takes the little dog home.....she never quit shivering in the car - we think that the storm just scared her so much - that, plus being lost.....tail was tucked way between her legs the entire trip.  Suz got her home, bathed her and dried her off....she said she put that dog down and the tail came up and wagged like crazy.  She said that little dog has made her self right comfortable - slept in the bed with she and Patrick and their little dog Annie last night.  We are going today to put up signs around where we found her.  We KNOW somebody is missing her.  Suz said she's SO lovable.  I told her she better find that owner or she would be in love and hard to say goodbye!  

Such a sweet day with my friend Suzanne…..thank you Lord for the gift of Suzanne in my life.  She's truly a gift.  She's the one i can be myself with….totally, honestly, and never feel i am being judged or scrutinized - she's such a gem - with a heart as big as Texas!  

No comments:

Post a Comment